Sunday, June 1, 2008

Stupider by the day

I wonder if this will be the year my kids point to and say "Well, it was around 2008 that we noticed Mom and Dad really began to slip." It's frustrating doing stupid things, and it's darn funny at the same time. Unless R does them, then it's just damn annoying.

I caught up R's books on Friday and left to run my errands. I was also going to go shopping for an outfit for the baby shower so I didn't have to wear the same tired old thing (which is everything in my entire closet). I had the afternoon to shop which is what I really need in order to properly dress a body that has its own "problem areas."

I first went to the post office to mail the bill payments for the week. I pulled up to the big box outside of the post office and reached over to grab the pile of stuff from my purse. I pulled out the previous day's bank deposit, checked the figure, and then deposited it into the mailbox. After hearing it hit the pile inside the box, I realized what I had done. I think I verbalized "Oh crap!" I then grabbed the pile of stamped envelopes, and stuffed them into the box as well. When I heard my second and correct mail deposit hit the pile inside the box, I pulled around the corner and went into the post office.

There I had to get in line and wait a few minutes before telling the clerk at the counter what a stupid thing I'd done. I started with "I hope I'm not the first person to do this..." and she kindly told me I wasn't and she kindly did not follow it with "....but most of the people who do it are at least 70." Then a nice young man (that sounds so old to say) met me at the box to unlock it and retrieve my deposit.

I pulled around to the bank for our business which is in an adjoining shopping center. As I was driving there, I reflected on something I did just two weeks ago. I was going to run my errands, and started with the bank before heading to the post office. I pulled into the bank, grabbed the tube from the transporter, opened it up, and then remembered I didn't have a deposit that day. I had already greeted the teller who knows me because I drop off a deposit nearly every day. I had to then explain to her that I didn't have a deposit, I had just gone to the bank out of habit.

I am such a freakin' creature of habit! Either that or I'm operating on auto pilot way too much.

I figured something out today and now need to research it a little. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a person seeking plastic surgery or who is troubled by her appearance. But I think I need to check into whether or not I should have my eyelids "done". I have heavily lidded eyes, and I always have. But as I get older, they get heavier and I'm struggling with my left eye twitching most of the time. I figured it was because my right eye has gotten weaker and it is also easily affected by glare, so the left eye is working too hard and is stressed. I've been putting up with the twitching off and on for a couple of years, but figured it's just part of the deal.

Today, I was trying to massage out another round of twitching in my left eyelid, and I lifted both of my eyelids from below my eyebrows just a little. It took the pressure off of them and I couldn't believe the relief! They felt relaxed and comfortable for the first time in ages. I didn't realize they weren't relaxed, until I did something to relax them. I looked around, and realized I wasn't straining to see. It didn't change my vision or anything, but it took the strain out of holding my eyes open which allowed my eyes to relax. It was weird! It also allowed my eyebrows and forehead to relax because they weren't straining to hold my heavy eyes open. Can that be right? Can eyelids get too heavy? Seems silly.

Last Friday I called my doctor to make an appointment for my annual exam. I could not believe it when there was a 7-month wait before I could see her. Seven months! When I finally get in to see her, just before Christmas, I'm going to set next year's appointment. So I guess I have seven months to research eyelids....

No comments: