I'm still learning about my phone, and was investigating some of the preloaded apps on it today when I figured out there is one that I can use to listen to podcasts (the app is called "Listen" and has a picture of headphones -- I'm not the sharpest tack). Now the only thing I know about podcasts is that they can be downloaded to i-pods, just like music. And the only podcast I have any memory of hearing about is "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" that my daughter told me she listens to when she's running. So when I figured out what "Listen" was, I figured out how to subscribe to WWDTM and I queued up a half dozen or so. Then I subscribed to "This American Life" and queued up a few of those too. I'm on a roll.
So now I know how to subscribe to podcasts. Giant leap. But to my credit I've never had an i-pod so there is no reason for me to know how to use one.
Then I downloaded a stopwatch app which I used the other day to time R when he was running. Then I e-mailed his time to my son who is going to run a 5K with him later this year. I did all of this from my phone. My son e-mailed me back his own time -- presumably from his treadmill. I'm a little blown away.
I've been updating my address book (as time and my gimpy shoulder allows) in g-mail which feeds it into my phone. And my calendar has been providing me with reminders. I'm also texting like a grammatically correct pro, and my phone keeps me apprised of the temperature, the moon phase, and the daily Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. And let's face it, I have barely scratched the surface.
So the phone was a great gift and I'm still finding out new ways to enjoy it. One of the best things about it is that the apps are simple, straightforward, and designed for people who just want to use them. I like how it uses technology in a laid back way to make my life easier. And I like how I can be as casual or as intense as I want to be and still get what I need.
Who knew?
Sunday, January 9, 2011
One giant leap
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment