Sunday, August 5, 2012

Fraidy Cat Bird

Our canary is so easily frightened that we have to be careful how we handle his cage when we take it down for cleaning or feeding.  If we move it too quickly or jostle him just a little....and sometimes even if we don't....he can get stressed to the point he wobbles on his perch, falls to the floor of his cage, and squats with his beak open and his eyes half closed, panting and ready to pass out.  The first time it happened I thought he was going to die, then I wondered if he was a complete faker, but now I'm sure he's more of a wuss than anything else. 

We hung his cage outside this morning because it was probably 15 degrees cooler than it has been in quite a while.  R carried him out and was probably a little careless, slightly banging the corner of the cage on the door and allowing the chain we hang it from to clang on the side of the bars.  The crazed bird started swaying on his perch like we'd spiked his water with 90 proof, then disappeared from view to the bottom of his cage.  He sat there panting like a dog for the longest time, unable to keep his eyes open.  We left him alone and eventually he sobered up and hopped back on his perch. 

The only thing we've noticed is that he reacts more severely to R than when I move him or clean his cage.  He doesn't always react, even when it seems like he should.  Sometimes when he does react, it's for no reason.  It's hard to know how to prevent it from happening when it's hit and miss. 

One day I had his cage on the counter while I was cleaning the tray and food cups.  I went to do something else, and inadvertently left the basement door open.  The cat came up the stairs, and when I found her she was on the counter, peering into the bird cage.  The canary was flying around the cage, agitated but unhurt.  I grabbed the cat, returning her to the basement, and the bird was fine.  But it seems to me if he was going to have a heart attack and pass out, that would have been the time.  So not only is he afraid, he's stupid.

With our pets, that sounds about right.


No comments: