Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pretty normal Sunday

I went into work for a few hours this afternoon, but other than that it was a pretty normal Sunday.  We've been catching up laundry and cleaning house, both of which make me feel calmer when done.  R is grilling chicken breasts for supper and there will be a little salad.  The wine is already poured.

I'm making some crack pretzels (also known as pretzel meth) and chex mix because it is officially Fall and our red maple is just beginning to turn.  I'm planning to make some biscotti later on.  It's clear that autumn is all about eating, but that's what freezers and Rubbermaid containers are for.

I did discover the dreaded mouse turd today when I was doing laundry.  It was in the basement and may explain the funky smell we had a few weeks ago followed by the infamous housefly incident.  R went out and got some D-Con and put it in places inaccessible to grandkids or pugs.  I can't bear the thought of a mouse loose in my house so I'll feed it some tasty poison tidbits.  For some reason, unwelcome vermin in my house brings out the sadist in me.  No remorse.  None.  Sorry, Dalai Lama.

I'm working to give up my last monthly contract client.  J, the owner, asked me to find my replacement, but I'm not sure he realizes that's not how it's done.  I told him yesterday that he could use the firm that does his taxes, but he's concerned about cost.  That tells me two things:  I'm working too cheap because he isn't concerned about what he pays me, and he's way tight.  He has plenty of income, plenty of savings, but he worries about every little bill.  That's probably why he has plenty of savings, but still.  Big picture here.

Still, I like the guy and I feel bad about ending my work for him.  He is full of questions and needs more attention than I can give.  Plus, when R closes up shop I won't renew the accounting software that I also use for J's books.

I can smell the chicken so it's getting close.  I'm going to wrap up for now so I can focus on the deliciousness.

No comments: