I was thinking the other day about things that others do better than me. It's a long list, and includes anything athletic, memory-related, or thoughtful, but before I knew it I was compiling a list of things that I do well. I know I have strengths, some inate and some learned, and some that I "fake it till I make it". I don't know what others would say, but here is what I believe I am good at:
1. Sticking to a task. I may not be fast at getting a job done, but I nearly always finish if it's important enough. Case in point: 7 years to finish crocheting an afghan, 11.5 years to get my bachelor's degree, well over a year to paint a closet.
2. Giving the benefit of the doubt. I rarely accuse people of bad or lazy or anti-social behavior but instead I try to search for the reasons leading up to it. My heart bleeds so liberally and so naturally that I'm frequently surprised that not everyone thinks that way. How can you fault someone for growing up poor and not having an opportunity or role model to improve themselves? How can someone show anything but defensiveness when they have had to defend themselves in the past? I really do hate to think that some people are just mean, so I try to come up with reasons why that may be the case.
3. Forgiveness. I have always said that it would be impossible for my kids or husband to do anything that could make me hate them. I still believe that but I used to wonder if I was fooling myself. I think the past several months have proved that I can walk the walk and I'm proud of that. Doesn't mean I can forget, but I can forgive.
4. Baking cookies. I'm not a candidate for the "Great British Baking Show" but if you want a delicious, home-made cookie (or pie, or cinnamon rolls) I'm your girl.
5. Choosing paint colors and arranging furniture. It may take a few tries, but I nearly always get to a good result.
6. Organizing and finding efficiencies. Once I learn a task, I usually find a way to do it better. Then, if it's important and work related, I document the process. Leave it cleaner than I found it so to speak.
7. Humor. I come from a funny family, and grew up around wit. I'm not nearly as funny as some people, but in certain circles I am basically doing stand-up.
8. Moving on. Everyone goes through tough times, but some people get stuck. I get through tough times by sticking to a task (#1 above) and then not looking back (this could relate to #3). Basically, I don't dwell. I'm also not a long-term mourner. Some people may not believe that is a strength, but it's helped me move on and get back to the task at hand. That said, after I'm gone I fully expect my loved ones to spend a year dressing in black, eyes swollen and red from their vail of tears. It's the least they can do.
I'm also good at work avoidance which is what I've been doing this morning. But that may not be a strength....
No comments:
Post a Comment