Monday, November 20, 2017

What took me so long?

Although I loved my first iPad, in no small part because my kids/husband gave it to me, I found myself growing increasingly frustrated with the speed and because I was regularly kicked out of apps or articles or websites.  I wasn’t sure if it was because we have a fairly basic cable and internet plan, but started thinking about getting a new iPad a few months ago.  I kept talking myself in and out of it as finances fluctuated to cover other bills.  I am not usually a ditherer, but I was kind of doing that because a new iPad is a big expense.  


About two weeks ago, I went all in and ordered a new one online.  It was delivered about a week later.  I had planned on using my old keyboard/case but found it didn’t fit even though I bought what seemed to be the same size as I had before.  No prob, I immediately went out to find a new case but ended up ordering a new, different one online.  It was delivered today.

Can’t say how happy the new iPad and ZAGG case make me.  It’s beautiful (I swear the screens are clearer), faster (at least a zillion times), and has more bells and whistles just because it can.  It has about eight times more memory which makes it run better and it’s able to handle what I’m throwing at it.  A few of my old apps didn’t transfer but I’m fine with those that did.  Everything I need is there and up to date.  And the new case puts a bow on it.  Now I’ll need to learn to tear myself away....

After cleaning up the old iPad, I passed it down to R who has never had one.  He’s excited because he can check scores or read the newspaper or do simple things which is all he wants to do.  He doesn’t care about the jankety old case (which will still protect it) because he doesn’t type.  I told him that we no longer have to speak at the dinner table.  Kidding!!

So, now I’m wondering what took me so long?  The old iPad still worked although it was slower, which made it hard to justify making a move.  I have a 24-year-old refrigerator that still runs and could surely be improved upon.  But it still runs.  We had a huge box of a 27-inch TV for years that refused to die so we refused to replace it.  Because it worked.  Even though it took two grown men to move it anywhere, it worked.  Even though the remote (the second one — we replaced the first one through the manufacturer) was held together with blue painter’s tape, it worked.  

It’s hard to replace something that ain’t broke because I’m not a wasteful gal.  Thank goodness I was able to hand down the iPad to R so he could learn how to use it.  That was all of the justification I needed!

No comments: