Monday, February 23, 2026

Retirement? Really?

Not sure if I even remember how to do this.  I ran across my old blog a few days ago and for some reason became concerned that all of my documented cleverness could be swallowed up by the interweb (ha! I'm really not old!) and I wouldn't even know it.  My last entry was in September of 2019, over 6 years ago, the only one that year, and it's not like I didn't have anything going on in the past several years.  Prior to that it was 5 entries in 2017 so you get the idea.  There were a total of 677 entries.  Now 678.

So back to my documented cleverness concerns:  I wasn't sure what to do with what I wrote and haven't exactly made the blog site known, although my daughter is aware of it.  I ended up stuck at home for a couple of days because R's car is in the shop and he took mine to work.  It's cold and windy and pretty awful outside so I am stuck in the house.  Good time to take care of a couple of mundane, boring tasks.  This morning I cleaned out my Gmail inbox that I have been warned multiple times is using too much space and this afternoon I printed off my 677 blog entries and tucked them into a nice large manila envelope labeled with the words "Half Way There".  Serious old school vibes today.

Now for a quick catch up.  I retired from full-time at the end of April, 2024, and then worked at my old job half time until the end of October of the same year.  Since then I work about a day a week although some weeks it's more and some less.  I was allowed the gift of training my replacement, "A", who is a delight and could be my daughter.  We laugh a lot and she is super cool with my increasingly bad potty mouth which could be a sign of 1. dementia; 2. post-post-menopause; 3. DGAF any longer.  After all, if the country can elect an orange turd not once but twice, I can drop f-bombs.

I am mostly enjoying the one day per week work schedule and I am paid well for it.  Haven't had to touch my retirement so it's definitely a bonus there.  I am over the drama and politics of the job and it turns out it's a good thing I left because I dislike the person who would be my boss.  She actually was my boss for a while but left me alone because she was told not to mess with me.  Damn!  But now that I'm gone she pokes her nose in things and multiple people have left because of her.  She is just really terrible at her job, has no idea what we do, and is wildly overcompensated for it.  Oh well -- not my problem.

I'm going to stop here and maybe write another post later since my mostly retired life is pretty good and occasionally dull.  R plans to retire in August and then we'll see how all of that togetherness goes! There is a lot to catch up on!

No comments: