Thursday, February 12, 2009

Off probation

I'm officially beyond the probationary period at my job. I am inordinately pleased about that, and I have no reason why.

Having never worked at a job where I was on probation, I don't know what it means. I believe it means I cannot be fired without cause but it may not. I haven't really read the employee manual. I hope it does not mean something dire. I hope not reading the manual is not cause for termination.

I have not had my evaluation yet, although I gently reminded my boss yesterday that I had completed my first 6 months. I am inordinately excited about having an evaluation, and I have no reason why.

I am so new at working for a large organization that I must be the world's biggest geek, walking around agape at the benefits and procedures and office policies against harassment. I am pleased every day to go to my new job. I think it will only get better.

Now for a reality check. The economy sucks. Jobs are lost every day, and companies and organizations are trimming to the bone. Universities are also hit hard and mine is no exception. Should I be in a panic? If I should, I'm blessedly clueless enough to not know it. I am the only one in my office who does what I do, so that seems to be a plus.

Okay, enough about work. One note on my health: still coughing. And now my teeth hurt. Plus I broke another stupid tooth and probably need another stupid crown. (Oops, that was several notes.)

I also called my eye doctor today to have him check on my bad right eye. He up and retired on me! You know the worst part? I went to high school with him. Still, someone will be looking at my eyes next week and it gives me an out in case I don't like him. I liked my old eye doctor but I didn't love the selection of frames his office provided and I was too uncomfortable looking elsewhere since I knew him personally.

This should just about do it. My beautiful granddaughter turns two tomorrow and I'm so glad she is in our lives. What a treat for the soul.

No comments: