Monday, May 21, 2012

Balancing

We had a wonderful time on our vacation, and I felt relaxed and rested and refreshed.  I had a couple of days at home after we returned, and again had a terrific and wonderful time spent with my five-year-old granddaughter. But because the gods frown on too much carefree living in our house, we ended the weekend with a faucet that was leaking profusely from below the handle and a dryer that wouldn't tumble due to a slipped belt.  The world became more balanced.

Both repairs require parts that needed to be ordered, so I ordered the belt online and R ordered the faucet parts by phone today (it has a lifetime warranty and we need to replace this part every few years) so we will have more work ahead of us when they all arrive.  I feel the scales begin to tip...

Back at work today, of course there is a lot to sort through and catch up but I am determined to hang on to my peace a little while longer.  As anticipated, there are corrections and fixes to mistakes my boss made in my absence, but I don't get riled.  He has questions about basic procedures....still good.  A dear friend was terminated from another department.  That's a hard one to shake off, even as I work hard to maintain my relaxed (for me) state.  I'm  hanging in there but the pennyweights are piling on.

BUT, I have a secret weapon.  It is the look on my granddaughter's face as she played, climbed, ran around, and had a joyful time while she visited us.  Her smile was sunshine, her face beamed.  When I need to balance the scale a bit, I think of her and it evens things out.  I know how happy it made her to be here, but I was surprised at how happy it made me. 

No comments: