Last day of April today, and I'm ready to start my favorite month of the year, May! I love the flowers, the weather, the ridiculously blue skies, the crazy green grass, and everything else. It might snow on Thursday, the 2nd day of my favorite month of the year, but I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and carry on in an oblivious manner.
Today we had a luncheon for our retiring employee. It went well and she was so grateful for the good wishes. I had some awesome people step up and handle the details and that was so helpful to me. I never worried for a minute about how it would get done.
That said, I had a tsunami of tasks wash over me today and I am not treading water very well. It didn't help to have the distraction of the luncheon and all of the other stuff going on, but it was one of those tough days. Even so, the accountant replacing me starts tomorrow, and although she'll also be working two jobs for a while, it will be nice to officially be able to begin the training process. I will have to start slow, but I keep telling myself we'll get there eventually.
We had a worrisome evening yesterday. R checked on a domestic disturbance happening outside across the street from his shop and the aggressor clocked him and knocked him to the pavement. R wasn't being aggressive or combative in any way, but the guy was beating his daughter (around 12 years old) and R walked towards him indicating he would call 911. He got punched a couple of times, raising goose-eggs on his head and a black eye, and has some contusions from hitting the asphalt. Neighbors called 911 instead as the crazy guy grabbed R's phone and threw it (now it doesn't work). The guy was hauled off to jail after screaming and threatening everyone in the vicinity. I'm guessing he's a mean drunk, but he may just be mean.
Now all of this sounds terrible, but we had R checked out at the ER last night and he was okay. Didn't even need a CT scan but he still has a pretty good headache and his neck hurts a little. His next door to the shop neighbor called him after we got home and was so distressed and worried he had been hurt. Today, several of the neighbors came to see him to update him on the situation and check on him and his injuries. They advised him to keep the shop locked in case the guy was released, but later he found out he'll cool his heels until August. It was sweet how concerned they all were, and R said he saw neighbors outside and kids playing today now that the crazy threatening neighbor was locked away. Apparently he had been threatening people and fighting for some time. We decided R took a hit for the neighborhood, but we're sure glad it wasn't worse.
One of the things that I love about R and that also worries me sometimes is that he will help anyone who needs it, with no concern for his own safety. He is the guy that tries to help and I am the person that hangs back, hoping things will work out, especially with aggressive people. I like to think I would step up to help a child or someone helpless, but I'm not inherently brave. Kind of a big chicken in fact, but I married up that way.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Almost May
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment