Sunday, May 12, 2013

Frivolous

My Mother's Day gift was a day of clothes shopping with my husband who carried bags and sacks and even my purse on occasion. I have been having so much trouble pulling a decent outfit together for work, mostly because of the change of seasons but also because everything I own is just looking tired. We made a deal that he would take me wherever I wanted to go and in turn I would buy whatever I wanted without focusing on clearance and sale items. How in the world did I get so lucky?

I bought a couple of pairs of pants, a couple of lightweight sweaters, a shell, a scarf, and a pair of sandals. I looked at purses but took a pass. We also got R a shirt and picked up a tablecloth. And this took all afternoon.

We worked outside a little this morning and he potted up some begonias we purchased yesterday. We took some flowers to our mothers' graves and I also left some at my grandmother's and an aunt's. I picked some lilacs, spirea, columbine, and Sweet William.

Tonight R made Italian Chicken Kabobs and a pretty salad and then later he popped some popcorn. It was a lovely day and I'm spent but I enjoyed the frivolity of it all. I did no bookwork and did not answer any work emails. I took the day for me, drinking from my new mug with grandkids group photo on it, enjoying sunshine and goofing off. It's been so long.

I did miss my Mom, but I watched a little video of her and thought of her all day. I still can't grasp that she's gone, especially when I have questions. My first thought is always, "I'll have to remember to ask Mom about..." and then I remember I can't. Man I wish I had written some stuff down.

Tomorrow it's back to work, back to trying to get through another week in one piece. Even though it's been really hard, I know it will get better. Thank goodness for patient, caring husbands.

No comments: