Monday, January 13, 2014

Bad guy

I had to be the bad guy at work today and update our cashiers about some probable and some possible changes to our staffing in the coming months.  Because one cashier will be moving into another position, that causes a position to be open that I was informed by the higher ups may or may not be filled.  We currently have four cashiers that work half time, with a schedule of one week on and one week off.  They receive benefits that are pro-rated to their hours, and all are women in their 50's.   They love their jobs and the freedom of their hours, but if we don't fill the open position, their schedules would be one week off and two weeks on.  That possibility did not go over well.

The truth is, I am now a boss where I was once a co-worker, and like it or not I am the bad guy when I have news that no one wants to hear.  I'm new to the job of managing a staff of people, so I was unprepared for their responses although I anticipated it to a certain extent.  I felt a little ganged up on, but I needed to tell them in a group setting so the words they heard came from me.  Because they were in a group, their concerns were voiced with abandon and fed off of each other a bit.  It didn't go well but I suppose it could have gone worse.

At first I was hurt and a little surprised by the lack of cooperation and consideration for what I was saying.  I then decided that they needed some time to process and step back to review what they have going for them.  I let them know that I would pass along their concerns, but that the decision was not mine to make.  I did feel it was important to prepare them for the possibility that a change is coming, but I failed to take into account that people hear possibility as certainty when it affects them.

Oh well, lesson learned.  I don't think I handled the situation poorly and I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.  I thought later that it went about as I expected but worse than I had hoped.  I know and like these women, and it would be nice if they understood how it felt from my side of the fence, but that probably won't happen.  Why should it?  When you are no longer a co-worker, no matter how much they like you and whatever your history of friendship may have been, you are the boss and sometimes the bad guy.

It can't be helped.

No comments: