Sunday, September 15, 2019

Don't know yet

Ages since I've posted.  Ages!  It works out since it's ages since I started this blog, just ahead of turning 50.  I'll be 62 next month so time is catching up with me.  I spent an afternoon along re-reading some old posts and was struck by my own ambition.  If I was posting today, I'd have to admit a few less than flattering things among some good things:

1. I don't run any longer.  It never was a good fit for my short little legs and less than fantastic lungs, but I do still walk.  I tell myself that not running protects my knees, but the truth is I just never loved it.

2. I definitely am on an upward weight spiral.  Still within the realm of reasonableness, but knocking at the door (slightly ajar) of needing to get it under control.

3. Still working at the University.  I'd say I'm 90% successful and good at what I do, and 10% behind, not interested, annoyed, or hoping it will go away.  That means I'm still getting more out of work than I'm putting into it, so I'll be here a while longer.  Ignore the fact I can't afford to retire and that SS won't kick in until 66 and a half.  I need to remember how lucky I am to work at a job I enjoy and that I'm good at so late in my work life.

4. Dealing with more stiffness and soreness than I think I should be at this age.  I gauge my aging process by comparing myself to my mother.  I think she wins unless I compare my 61-year-old self to her 80-year old self.  

5. R is even older (acting) and slower than me.  I'm glad I'm doing as well as I am but a bit concerned he is as slow as he is right now.  I don't want to project, but at this rate he will be unable to walk by the time he reaches retirement age.

6. Still see friends frequently to play dominoes, bunco, or have tea.  Have new friends at work with a standing Thursday lunch date.

7. I enjoy an evening home alone probably more than I should.  I'm not saying I want to get rid of hubsy, but when  he's gone for the evening I don't pine for his company.

8. Sweet tooth.

9. Still don't sleep worth a damn.  Can have periods of good, restful sleep followed by weeks of waking up at 3:00 a.m.  Make up your mind, mind!

10. R and I have reversed roles.  He does most of the cooking and all of the grocery shopping because his hours work better for that.

And that's just off the top of my head.  Now back to American Pickers and chill.

No comments: