Monday, February 4, 2008

Nothing much

Nothing much going on. R and I ran yesterday morning and managed a mile. Amazing to me that that's about as far as I can go after months of running and it's about as far as he can go on his second attempt. Men really are built different. He used to run a bit a few years ago but hurt one of his feet and gave it up. I think his foot's okay now though. I have no excuse of my own.

The real reason he's back on track is that he has a stress test coming up and he says he doesn't want to embarrass himself. As if.

We worked a little more on getting stuff together for a garage sale in June. I keep finding stuff and adding it to the shelves and boxes. I went through a box of children's books and found only a couple I could part with. I'm sentimental about them. When I see them I picture my little ones on my lap, reading and re-reading for the umpteenth time. I found some books I'd forgotten about and a couple I didn't recognize at all which is weird. Each of the kids had their favorites so some books got read more than others.

Now I get to share them with g-kids which is a terrific way to relive a pleasant memory. Think about it -- for the most part you don't read to a little one except under pleasant circumstances, so those memories are all good ones. Maybe we should keep our own set of children's books so we could take ourselves back to a happy place whenever we need it.

Maybe I should have R take along "The Poky Little Puppy" when he takes his stress test.

Enjoyed the Super Bowl last night. I usually call it the Stupid Bowl because it annoys me that it is only played in places without snow or with domes. Where's the sport in that? Anyway, it was fun to watch and I really don't even watch football. I usually watch the commercials but I wasn't impressed this year. I do think Richard Simmons was a good sport in the Bridgestone Tire commercial. That was pretty funny.

Yesterday I made some homemade soft pretzels but I still think I've got some tweaking to do. They were rising like a son-of-a-gun and got a little more bready, a little less chewy than I'd like. Tasted good though, but texture is a big part of pretzels.

My orchid opened up a couple of new blooms last week. I decided I wanted to try to grow one and found one at Lowe's. Just the place you think of when you think of orchids, right? I checked out our local nurseries first, but they didn't have any. It's a really lovely color and I just like looking at it. I may try to find a small one for my kitchen windowsill. The garden show is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm itching to go. I love the smell of wet dirt in February.

It's supposed to snow again tomorrow. Boo hoo. But won't it make Spring all the more special when it finally gets here for good?

See what I mean? Nothing much.

No comments: