Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hunkering

It's snowing again. I'm almost out of adjectives to describe how I feel about it, so I won't try. I've given up. Winter wins.

To make myself feel better, I bought some more yarn today to start another baby afghan. We found out this week we're going to have another grandchild arrive this year which will make the newest cousins just a couple of months apart. When this year ends, we'll have five grandchildren by our kids and a step-granddaughter to boot.

We are realizing that the numbers are making us feel like real, grandparenty-types. Our grandparents had tons of grandkids. Our parents had tons of grandkids. While we're still in the single digits, our grandkids now outnumber our kids. Maybe that's what turned the tide.

We got to see our oldest two grandkids last night for a couple of hours. They are so beautiful and funny and smart (with a healthy dose of ornery) they make my heart hurt. Sometimes I think it's going to burst.

We caught up a few things and ran errands and now I'm doing laundry. I did some bookwork and paid bills. My house could use a good cleaning, but who wants to clean when it's just dreary and more of the wet, dirty stuff will be tracked in. I would bake but I try not to make things I'll just eat.

Saw my doctor on Monday, then had lunch with her later in the week. I still ate french fries in her presence, but she ate them too so what the heck. We laughed and had a great time and I told her I was trying to swear less for Lent. I can't say I'll give it up because I'm realistic, but I'm making an effort and am trying to be aware which is what Lent should make you do anyway. Then I used a swear word. She said maybe I couldn't help it because I have Tourette's so I asked her if that was a definitive diagnosis from my personal physician and she said, "Sure!" I told her I needed a medical ID bracelet that would let people know I have Tourette's. Then when I use a swear word at inappropriate times, I could point to my wrist and say, "Not my fault. I have Tourette's." I thought she was going to lose it. She wanted a bracelet too.

We've got dominoes tonight. It's at our friends who live nearby so we'll walk. Should be fun, and it's always raucous. Damn, I need that bracelet.

No comments: