Today I tackled a couple of shelving sections in the basement that held, among other things, items intended for a garage sale. I hate having garage sales, and it annoys me to save up things for an annual or biennial summer event which creates long-term storage problems in exchange for an eventual couple of bucks. One day it hit me, I could donate the stuff to Goodwill at any time of the year, eliminating the storage issues. True, I would forego the piles of cash I could earn at a garage sale, but since that pile would normally fit in a custard cup, it's not a great economic sacrifice.
R went into his shop today to do a job, and since we caught up bookwork last night I decided to work on the purge. I focused on an area of shelves that had the most "garage sale" storage on them, but nabbed a couple of other things that were readily apparent. Our old luggage for one thing, and a wobbly plant stand that I was always worried would fall on grandkids. While I worked I piled everything in the middle of the floor, and when he finished R brought boxes home from his shop. We had it all boxed up, loaded in his van, and delivered to Goodwill before lunch.
I must admit to talking myself through the process while employing some tips and mantras used in Hoarders or Clean Sweep. One, if I forgot I had it, I probably wouldn't miss it. If I hadn't used it in a year or two, I probably wouldn't use it. If I had another one, I probably didn't need this one (especially true of the overabundance of vases I accumulated). If I found I did need it after getting rid of it, I would probably still be able to get another one.
One of the few things I held on to was a flower pot that I think I remember my mother saying was my grandmother's. I still struggle with getting rid of anything with a history beyond my own, although the wobbly plant stand was originally my aunt's. It wasn't really that old and wasn't terribly well made so it was not too hard to get rid of.
I've also been searching eBay for a little info on some of the pieces I have collected. I was looking at depression glass and surprisingly found my old citrus reamer (juicer) pictured. I had bought it at a garage sale years ago for probably 50 cents, and this seller was calling it depression glass and priced at $45.00. Huh? I had shoved it in a bottom drawer in my kitchen and used it when I needed fresh lemon or orange juice for a recipe. I never thought it was depression glass because it is clear, but I guess not all depression glass is colored. (Or maybe the eBay seller is a liar?) At any rate I cleaned it up and have a new appreciation for the style behind it. It's really kind of pretty.
I have more stuff to purge, but it makes me feel lighter and freer to get rid of things. When we finished dropping the stuff off at Goodwill, R asked me if I wanted to go inside and look around. I told him I thought it was a bad idea to drop off and pick up in the same trip. We were trying to make progress after all.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Thank goodness for Goodwill
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment