Sunday, February 19, 2012

Timing

Okay, I admit this was destined to go wrong but a girl can dream...

I read a cheesy little article this morning about a woman aging and growing more beautiful after 53 years because of the wisdom gained in a life well lived and yadda yadda yadda.  It ended with her telling about how she was playing scrabble with her husband and asked him if he would love her when she was old, and he replied that he loved her now and she was already old.  Then they laughed with crinkling laugh lines and twinkling eyes and her point was made in an endearing and adorable way.

So I thought I'd try this with R.  He was in the kitchen and I walked in, gave him a hug, and asked him in my most endearing and adorable way if he would love me when I was old.

"Mhuh uh," he said as he tried to break away, in a voice I have come to know means he has a throat full of phlegm and has to spit.  He headed into the bathroom, and after dislodging the mucus, he hollered back that of course he would.  Then he rinsed.

Still trying to salvage the manufactured moment, I asked him when I would be considered old.

"Seventy-five," he said without missing a beat.

He came back into the kitchen and I fake pouted that he had ruined my moment with his phlegm and he owed me a hug, so he held me.  Unfortunately the weekly puzzle with Will Shorts was on Weekend Edition on NPR and R was calling out the answers during my consolation embrace.  He also told me I had terrible timing, which was undeniable.

I think what I was really going for in my re-enactment was the scrabble game, so it wasn't all a bust.  To my lifelong dismay, R can't play scrabble because he is dyslexic and cannot spell, but he likes the verbal puzzles on Sunday morning so that's about as close to Scrabble as we'll ever get.  If I look only at that, we definitely had a moment there.


No comments: