Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday morning

I was up early today, have already checked the weekly PostSecret update, and am relaxing on the new sectional that was delivered Friday. I like it and the freshening (word?) it brings to our TV room. Now the walls look tired and I am sure I will convince myself they need painting at some point.

We also picked up a little end table (next to the sectional) and a coffee table (living room) which is about 300% more furniture than we've purchased in the past several years. My daughter told me once that she likes that I am not afraid to change furniture and rotate things in and out and I surely don't want to dispel that notion. She is actually right, I do like to change things up and rearrange, but old houses with smaller rooms tend to lend themselves to only one or two optimal arrangements so introducing something new can cause quite the upheaval!

For instance. When we put the new sectional in place, we had to relocate a corner cabinet in that room to the adjacent corner, or else lose it entirely (our house is full of corners, but only two or three can accommodate this cabinet due to windows, doors, registers, etc.). When the corner cabinet moved, the sewing table was displaced but was too short and too wide to tuck in on the side of the sectional. A very small table, about the size and height of a plant stand, that R had next to his TV room chair (now gone) sits on one side of the new sectional, and the new end table, lower, deeper but very similar in style, sits on the other.

The dog crate, tucked in a corner next to the entertainment armoire, looked cluttery so I decided we could put it in the closet next to the armoire. That meant I had to find a new place for my vacuum and the loose attachments which I did by putting the attachments in the basement and the vacuum in the downstairs linen closet. That meant I had to find a better place for junk in the downstairs linen closet which I'm still working on. The sewing table was squeezed next to our bed by nudging it over just a little, and now I have a nightstand that also holds my crochet equipment.

You get the picture. The bottom line is I'm old enough, and I've lived here long enough (20 years this September) that I have already filled up the spaces in my home with acquisitions and accumulations. The challenge now is to be able to let go of or repurpose an item when bringing in something new. And since one son took our old sofa to the house he shares with a buddy and his wife, and R's old chair went to his neighbors at his shop, we didn't have to try hard to find homes for them.

Oh yes, my Mom's coffee table that ended up at my house but that I never really wanted or liked, went to my niece yesterday so we could make room for our nice new one. We didn't even have to deliver.

No comments: