I had an absolutely horrible day at work today. It started with a 7:30 meeting that went two unproductive (for me) hours and then wave upon wave of crapola once I got back to the office. I was so behind by the end of the day that I ended up staying until after 7:00 which made the day really long. Good thing I had some leftover bierocks to enjoy for supper.
I wrapped up the paperwork for my mother's estate tonight after I got home which took me until about 9:00. It left me tired and sad but I needed to get it done. We wanted the final distribution to go out before Mother's Day so I had to do it in spite of my long day (week....month...six months....).
But back to the work crapola. I felt like I didn't know anything, like I had way too much to do, and like it was never going to get better. I think my hopelessness is due in part to hormones (or lack thereof), in part to the nearly new moon (my least favorite part of the moon cycle), and in part to my lack of sleep. When I get this way I just have to go with it because I'm not going to feel better until the hormones improve, the moon waxes, and I get some sleep. At least I hope that will do it.
My new receptionist started on Monday and she is great. I can't wait until we get all of her sign-ons in place so she can work and learn things, but she is trying to keep busy in the meantime. My collections specialist had a meltdown today and cried in my office (I nearly joined her, but that wouldn't be very managerial). Her plate is too full for her skills, and she can't handle the stress. All the more reason to get the new person up to speed -- it will relieve some of the duties from the collections person. The new accountant (my old job) is wonderful and is also trying very hard to get up to speed but she is doing two jobs right now (her old and my old) so I'm trying to ease her in. She told me on her first day in our office that it was the best day she has had at the university, and she's been here about a year and a half. I hope the bar isn't set too high for the rest of her tenure...
I am lucky that I have a great staff and they seem to like me. I hope I can keep them happy and willing to do their best.
I'm going to call it a night and try to get some sleep. Maybe tomorrow will turn the corner.
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Weary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment