Sunday, January 25, 2015

Bye bye bookwork

I wrapped up the last month and the last annual reporting returns for my last contract client today, then gathered up several years of files and handed it all to him with a fond but happy goodbye.  I am officially out of the bookkeeping business for everyone but myself and my husband, and that job is about to be reduced to routine bill paying and annual tax return filing only.  Basically, I just gave myself a vacation nearly every weekend.  I'm not even comprehending.

We're in the middle of a major overhaul of our schedules, duties, and tasks around our house, so it seemed like as good a time as any to remove myself from the practice of public accounting.  I started taking contract clients back when I first graduated and had begun working for a small public accounting firm.  I never took on too many (I think the most I had at once was four in addition to my husband's shop) but I did like the extra cash the work provided.

R's hours now are predictable even if his days off aren't, so he's working to find ways to fill his time when he's home during the week.  He has offered to assume the gardening and yard duties and I'm thrilled about that.  If I'm not working on weekends, and he's taking care of the outside, I will have more free time than I've had since....since.....when?  Was it before I started taking classes (1985)?  I can't even remember.  What will I do with it?  I have no idea.  None.

Maybe nothing!

No comments: