Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Back on track

I remembered late last night that my walking partner was out of town. Then I realized that I should probably take advantage of the opportunity and just buck up and run my little mile. So I did. I am awesome!

Not really, but I'm glad I did it. It's been a while because the weather has been bad, the streets slick, it was dark, too cold, not enough time, the wrong kind of clothes, bad night's sleep, head cold, sinus headache, fingernails needed polish, socks didn't match. I can't remember when I last managed to run, so it's been too long. But my daughter told me that I wouldn't have any trouble getting back on track and she was right. I thought that I would be starting from square one again, but I just went out and did it. I am awesome!

Wish I could remember if my partner is back tomorrow. I think she is. I'll just get up like we're going to walk and if she shows up we will walk and if she doesn't, I'll run again. Then I'll be super awesome.

We have a list of things to accomplish before Christmas, and I got one of them done tonight. It wasn't a big thing, but it was all I felt like doing. I made some party mix. Now I have to seal it up in an airtight container and put it inconveniently in the basement so I won't eat it. It's pretty sad when you can't even trust yourself to keep food that you shouldn't eat near at hand. You have to hide it in the basement so you'll forget about it. Like my food plays mind games with me.

I fixed me a Bailey's and hot cocoa in my Bailey's Yum Cup tonight. It only holds 6 ounces of liquid so it's not too indulgent. And it's darn cute to drink out of. R gave me a Bailey's Thermal Travel Cup (an early Christmas present) the other day because we were out of Bailey's and he got the gift set. I'm going to bring hot chai tea to work in it and tell them there is Bailey's in there (it says "Bailey's" on the outside of the cup) because it was the only way I could talk myself into going to work.

I'm not a big drinker (previous paragraph is not an indicator) but I've been enjoying Bailey's Irish Cream since I was fairly young. My parents used to let us have a small aperitif for Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve or some event like that, and we'd have little liqueur glasses that we could have creme de menthe or Bailey's or maybe even a little kahlua (sp?) in. I used to love creme de menthe but can hardly stomach it now. Of course we got about half a tiny glass and were told to sip it slowly so maybe that's why I can nurse a drink for hours now. Probably also why I only like sweet wines and fruity drinks. Can't stand beer, hard liquor, or anything bitter or dry.

But it does help if it's cheap. Like 99-cent margaritas. Those puppies just disappear!

Tomorrow is my last day of work before the holidays. I do have to meet up with the office on Friday for our office party/luncheon, but come 5:00 tomorrow I'm going to feel like the holidays have begun. Today I prepared the bonus checks and finished up the letters that spell out raises, benefits, etc., for the coming year (they're handed out at the lunch). The bosses were generous this year and I feel especially well treated. It can be good or bad having access to all of the information on everyone's raises and bonuses, but they usually do pretty well by me.

Nuff for now!

No comments: