Sunday, December 9, 2007

I need clarity

I guess I'm too literal a person. I really need clarity when given instructions, and those who know R know that he is anything but clear. Fortunately, he rarely gives me instructions.

He wanted to go to Kohl's on Saturday for some of the early bird specials they advertised. We could have gone Friday night (for the same specials but late night) but I was battling a sinus headache and felt crappy. He decided Saturday was best and he told me they opened at 6:00 and the specials ran until 11:00. He also told me to set the alarm for whenever I thought we needed to get up.

So I set it for 5:45....A.M....on a Saturday morning. When it went off, I told him it was time to get up, pull on our clothes, and hit the road. He said okay (which is unusual but he's pretty compliant when he's sleepy). I went downstairs to get ready in my bathroom and he was in his which is upstairs. Pretty soon he called down and said, "Do you have any idea what time it is?" which was really more of an admonishment than a question, but I told him it was about 6:00. He wondered what we were doing up and around at such a ridiculous hour, and I told him I thought he wanted to get to Kohl's when they opened at 6:00. He told me that he was just letting me know the time frame when the specials were available, he wasn't giving me a start time!

Oh.

But he was pretty congenial about it. He knows how literal I am. Then he went out to clear off the walks a little from the sleet and freezing rain that had fallen. He started his truck to warm it up and I asked him if he thought it might be better to take my car because it's easier to park and maneuver in a busy parking lot. He asked whether I really thought the parking lot would be busy at 6:00 a.m. I said we couldn't take that chance...

Turns out we could. We pulled into Kohl's, wondering aloud if it was open as there were no cars at all in the lot except employees cars who have to park a certain distance out from the entrance. Their morning newspaper was laying in front of the double doors, still in it's plastic sleeve. We carried it in with us, the first customers of their very long day.

It was kind of fun to shop with almost no one else around, and we took our time. And since the streets ended up slick as the day progressed, having my car was a good thing as trucks are notoriously difficult to control on ice. We got a lot done, earned some Kohl's dollars, and returned to spend them today. But not at 6:00 a.m.

He learned to be a little clearer next time.

No comments: