Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Taking stock

Ahh. The beginning of a new quarter. Of a new half year. Of a new fiscal year at work (sorry, the accountant in me can't let it go). 2009 is half over.

Now that you've wrapped your brain around that, remember that 2010 is six months away. Can you remember when there was discussion over what to call the years in the 21st century between 2001 and 2009? Twenty-ought-six? Seems stupid now doesn't it? I think the concern was because we were used to saying something simple like nineteen-ninety-seven and we were trying to convert the nineteen to the next logical step -- twenty. Turns out two-thousand-one did the trick and no one had to think twice about it. And when we get to 2010, it will easily be twenty-ten or two-thousand-ten. No problemo.

Since this blog is "Half Way There" and we're halfway through 2009 it seemed a good spot on the map to take stock. Let's see.

1. New(er) job of just under 11 months. Tons learned. Tons to learn. Still enjoy it every day.
2. New friends found at new job. Unexpected treasure.
3. Vacation planned in two months. Humongous step for us but getting butterflies thinking about it.
4. Since starting my blog, I've welcomed a new daughter-in-law, new grandson, and watched my son become a doctor. Watched my two other beautiful grandkids grow and walk and talk and be generally hilarious.
5. Since starting my blog, I've probably gained 5 pounds, am having more trouble with the vision in my right eye, and have broken two teeth.
6. Worried about kids, been proud of kids. It all balances I guess, huh?
7. Got that damn closet painted.
8. Got a democrat elected president. Just a few years ago I wasn't sure it would happen again in my lifetime but the incumbents managed to take care of things. Well, if you provide enough rope.....
9. Took up running for a while. Gave it up. Didn't hurt me either way because I continue to walk for exercise. I feel like my health is about the same.
10. Found a couple of new artists that I love to listen to. Found a couple of new authors I love to read. Found a couple of new topics I'm interested in. I think curiosity about things opens up the door for more curiosity.

Am I richer? Nope. Have I finished my home improvement projects or better yet managed to buy a new house? Nope. Have I found time to lie around poolside with girlfriends and sip fruity drinks? You bet. I call that major progress. Ma-JOR.

Goals? Don't really have any. Not too worried about that. Probably should be, but keep thinking what happens happens and planning too much will either mess things up or get in the way of what needs to occur.

I saw a flyer on the wall of my university for a new class on the schedule called North American Amphibians. Toyed with taking it, at least at some point. Why? Because it had a picture of a frog on the flyer. Sometimes that's all it takes.

And aging? It freakin' rocks.

No comments: