Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How sweet

A co-worker who I love reminded me to breathe today. Wasn't that sweet? She knows this is my crazy-busy time and I worked late last night and tonight, and my day is a constant phone-ringing, fax-arriving, e-mail-receiving blur. Another co-worker left three Dove dark chocolates on my desk for when I arrived today. I really do have some good peeps to work with, which makes up for the annoyos.

Tonight when I got home there was a glass of white zin poured and waiting. Well, it was really for R, but my son poured it for him and I drank it. R came home at the same time but had to move his car after I got home. Wasn't that sweet? The wine and the car shuffling?

Okay, who else was sweet. I've got to say one of my favorite Christmas presents was a tiny, home-made envelope, full of seeds from some giant marigolds that my grandson grew. I received a bouquet for my birthday in October and they were amazing. I love that my daughter remembered and saved some and then made a cute little packet to tie onto a package. I put it in my windowsill above the sink because it's one of those things that just makes me smile. Isn't that sweet?

Last week when I had to work on the really icy, snowy day, I ended up eating lunch at the university rather than go home. I called R so he could call our son N (who was off work too with a snow day) and have him check on the dogs over lunch. N immediately asked if I needed anything and then called me to see if I wanted him to bring me lunch. He didn't have to be told, he just instantly thought of my well-being. Wasn't that sweet?

I could go on and on. I know lots of sweet people who do sweet things. Unfortunately I am not one of them. I am rarely thoughtful or sweet, not because I'm thoughtless or cantankerous but because I am kind of focused on other things and don't think of sweet things as a rule. I wish I did but I don't. I would love to be a sweet person but I'm kind of an all-business type and if something does occur to me (rarely) I have to have what I need right at hand (phone, candy, gift) or I'll either forget about it or decide it's too much trouble. I guess that makes me kind of a crumb.

To all of the sweet people I know and who are sweet to me.....sorry 'bout that.

No comments: