I'm right handed, as are a majority of people on this planet. I'm also right (correct) more often than I'm not, when it comes to discussions with my husband. We peg it somewhere around 95 to 98 percent (it's a running joke between us). I lean left politically although I like to think I'm ambidextrous if required. This got me to thinking about my right/left divisions physically and mentally, and how they stand up.
My right eye is my weakest. It used to be my left eye was my worst, but my left eye has remained basically unchanged and now the right eye has the poorest vision and also has early stages of cataracts resulting in double vision vertically (diploplia). I often shut my right eye to reduce the glare in bright lights or to remove the double vision that occurs especially when my glasses are off. Left wins.
My right knee makes noise. It has made noise for some time, sounding like gears turning. It does not hurt. My left knee doesn't hurt either and makes no noise. I believe the noise is a warning of future problems in the same way that brakes start to squeak or grate as they wear down. At this time, left wins.
My right hand is arthritic. This is a new development for me and has not been medically confirmed, but it is stiff in the morning and my large knuckle on my index finger is enlarged. Left wins.
My left foot shows signs of a future bunion. At least it did a couple of months ago. Now it looks pretty good, so it must have been something else. I'll call this a draw.
I don't know if I'm left or right-brained. I'm precise and organized but I'm also considered to have a creative side although I don't have time for it much any more. Also, I can't remember which side of the brain is creative and which is the organized, detail-oriented side so I can't say which one wins. Draw.
Something you may not know about me is that I barely know my left from my right. I actually KNOW left from right, but if you asked me quickly to point to the left there would be a 50/50 chance I'd point to the right. And vice-versa. I can't give an answer to that question without thinking about it. It's not innate.
I sleep on my left side (or on my stomach, facing left). I'm not sure why. I've got creases on my face caused by sleeping on that side for years. Right wins.
My left elbow is giving me grief. It might be related to carpal tunnel because I used to have trouble with that wrist, but now it feels more like tennis elbow or something like that. It's bothered me a bunch lately probably because I've been so busy at work and it's sensitive to overuse. Right wins again.
My left shoulder is the one that knots up and causes me pain. It's not as bad as it used to be (when I was at the law firm) but it's acting up because I'm busy at work. R can work out the knots with a good shoulder rub. My right shoulder rarely gets knots. Righto is the winner.
I'm wholly right-handed, with very little strength or dexterity with my left hand. I can type and crochet and work with both hands, but don't ask me to write or lift or select a tiny object out of a drawer with my left hand. I can steady with my left hand, but all of the detail and close work is done with my right. The knuckles and fingers on my right hand are larger and stronger. The nails on my left hand are prettier. That's to be expected because they don't work as hard. Right wins but the left isn't far behind.
I cannot have blood drawn from my right arm. It never works. It's always a struggle to find a vein on me, but the left is definitely better. Unfortunately, it was a long time before I realized that. When it was finally clear to me, I taught myself to remember it by saying "Right is wrong" when I am faced with getting stuck. Then I tell them to try on my left arm. Left wins.
I think my whole left/right balance is pretty even which I find a little surprising. Does that make me middle of the road? On the fence? I'll tip the scales to the left by adding one last observation: I part my hair on the left. I can actually part it either way, but my hair is prettier when parted on the left because of the way the gray is distributed. Left wins! I'm officially a blue state! Woo hoo!
Monday, September 13, 2010
Left / Right
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My husband laughed out loud when I told him you consider yourself ambidexterous when it comes to politics.
I think I've voted Republican once or twice. That makes me more ambidexterous politically than it does physically, right?
You have not voted republican. Name one republican you have agreed with. Besides my husband...
I voted for republican mayoral candidates several times. But they may have been unopposed....
Post a Comment