Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reuniting

I saw a number of my cousins yesterday at a family reunion that we try to hold every three years.  It was fun, great to catch up, and there were some poignant moments.  My mother is the last sibling remaining of the aunts and uncles, but she appeared to have a good time.  I didn't have enough time to visit with everyone as much as I would have liked, but it was still good.

I've had iffy sleep the past week or so, and I don't know if it was because of anxiety, stress, or just bad luck.  On Friday night we stayed in the hotel where the reunion was held and it was just awful for sleeping.  I found it noisy and uncomfortable.  I believe I've said it before that I am someone who likes her familiar space and true peace and quiet so it was a challenge for me.  Last night, in my own bed, I slept very soundly until I heard R get up and check on a noise he heard.  Turns out some branches in a neighbor's tree were shorting wires, causing pops and flashes.  The fire department showed up.  I'm lucky I had several hours of good sleep by then!  Still, I took a nap today and really took it easy much of the day. 

The insurance adjuster looked over our hail damage today, and we'll get a little compensation.  We don't need a new roof which is good news and bad news.  The good news is we don't need a new roof and the bad news is that when we do need a new roof, we'll probably have to pay for it.

We had an amazing evening watching my son graduate from his residency program.  He has done such a good job and that was acknowledged over and over by his peers as well as those who taught him.  It was one of those special moments that I get to tuck away in my memory bank and pull out when I need a smile.  We were at a table with several other people, including a young couple who had just adopted a baby.  The father was also graduating and the mother was holding the little one who was of a different race than his new parents.  I offered to hold the baby while the mother went through the buffet, and I ended up holding him most of the evening because he was asleep.  He was also pretty tiny so it didn't wear out my arm.  I kept looking at his beautiful skin and decided it was just creamy like caramel.  It was a treat.

That's all I have now. 

No comments: