Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Life's a journey....

....and sometimes you need a map.  Or "Life is a journey--stay warm, keep dry."

At least that's what my coat has been trying to tell me.  I can't remember when I bought it, but I think this may be the third winter I've had it.  Yesterday when I put it on, I put my hand in my pocket and felt a tag of some sort sewn to the inside of my pocket.  I thought that was a weird place for a garment tag, so I looked in the pocket and on it was written, in a beautiful coincidence, that "life is a journey, stay warm, keep dry."  I'm all about staying warm and dry, so it was definitely speaking to me.

Our journey this week was to welcome our newest grandchild to the world.  She is a wonderful, petite little girl that was named for different family members but also shares the name of my very first doll.  I still have that doll, who I think now needs a new dress and some attention so she can become the keepsake of her namesake.  That's quite a journey, isn't it?

I also celebrated number 54 last week, and my husband, in his manner of saying the wrong thing in an endearing way, told me I didn't look a day over 51.  He truly meant it as a compliment so I will accept it as one.  That journey is easy, and it's made easier with him along for the trip.

This week the replacement for the accountant in the other office arrived and she is nice.  I think I'm going to like her, and I think she is smart and will catch on quickly.  That particular journey isn't over, but it will be.  I also got one of the big accounts reconciled today.  THAT was gratifying!!

We had our grandson (brother of the new baby) here last Saturday night when plans fell through for our dominoes game.  I'm glad we kept him because his folks had a chance to rest up before the delivery on Monday.  We were picking up another couple to go to dinner, and as we were driving there he asked me what color their house was.  I told him it was a grayish-green which, looking back, is a ridiculously specific answer to give to a three-year-old.  He thought about what I said, and then he told me, "It's probably white."

I couldn't have predicted that response, and that is the best part of the journey.  The funny surprises and anecdotes along the way.  I'm a lucky traveler.

No comments: