Sunday, December 4, 2011

He's free

We got through having our pug put to sleep, and are doing okay.  We're feeling a little guilty about how much easier it is to get around our house now and accomplish little tasks, but it is helping with the transition.  We no longer have to step over gates and check on him frequently because we hear him circling and being restless.  Our other pug is free to roam the house for the first time in who knows how long because she was penned up along with him to help keep him soothed.  This morning I was up early and told her to "Go get Dad up!" and she did, just like she used to when she was young!  I'll bet she hasn't done that in 4 or 5 years.

We didn't know how well she would sleep without her companion, but she's been fine.  We think it helped her to see the body before it was taken away.  The vet took him and returned a velvet bag with his ashes on Friday.  We will scatter them today, and he'll be free too.

We're getting some shopping done and cleaning house a little because today is our first opportunity to do anything.  I should bake something but I don't know what.  I went through Christmas bags and the shopping is in pretty good shape with just a few people to figure out.  I'm off next Friday and will go to some little shops with a couple of work friends -- should be fun.

I'm getting back to performing my own duties at work and it is such a relief to tackle projects I actually know how to do.  I was meeting with a student and his father (or grandfather maybe) last week and providing them information on something when the director came in and used the fax machine next to my desk.  He overheard what I was explaining to them and when they left the director complimented me on my explanation and how well I worked with them.  He RARELY gives compliments -- he's rather dry and sarcastic most of the time -- so I felt good.

I've got laundry to check and more vacuuming to do.  Plus I didn't get a shower yesterday so I'm overdue.  Wow!  Seize the day huh?

1 comment: