We went to the first Friday art walk last night. Part of our city's art walk takes place just blocks from our house in a quaint little shopping center and a good friend of ours owns one of the galleries. The weather was nice so lots of people were there and we knew many of them. These events often turn into a mini-reunion for us, where we get to catch up with people we don't see all of the time. We had a great time and many laughs.
BUT, I can also get into trouble because I will occasionally fall in love with a piece of art that I just have to have. On more than one occasion I am just thunder struck by a painting or drawing, or whatever and my beloved husband doesn't temper my enthusiasm or obsession. He has always trusted my art instincts, however impulsive and personal they may be, and he accommodates by telling me it's purchase can be justified by being an anniversary, Mother's Day, birthday, or some other type of gift. I'm always amenable to receiving gifts, and am helpless to inject any reason to the conversation such as "It's tax time and we also need a new roof." You know, practicalities like that.
SO, I fell in love again last night with a lithograph print (22/60) that is ridiculous but I must have. Unless it sold between the time we left last night and this morning, it looks like I'll be receiving my Mother's Day present early (well, after the show runs it's course), as well as acquiring R's Father's Day gift. I have no justification for any of this except it's lovely and it makes me happy. I have no great designs on it being worth a fortune in my old age, although I have thought about which pieces we have will go to which kid when we're gone.
I think art shouldn't be logical or make sense...it should just be in a person's life to extend the boundaries of the ordinary. So my ordinary just got a little bigger. Cool.
Saturday, April 7, 2012
Obsession
Posted by Mary at 9:39 AM
Tags: anniversary, birthday, friends, kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment