Saturday, June 30, 2012

Dealing

I've got my feet up after a busy day which isn't unusual these days.  What is unusual is how my feet feel when I get up in the morning and when I get up after putting them up for a while.  They ache like the dickens.  If I didn't know better I'd say my feet had a touch of the arthur-itis.

I don't actually know better and don't actually know what the symptoms are for arthritis except for painful, stiff joints.  Seems a little weird it would concentrate in my feet so I'm inclined to dismiss that one.  However, moving around a little helps and so does a dose of ibuprophen or Aleve.

Truth is, I'm a bona fide member of the "ache of the day" club.  I can't remember the last time that something didn't hurt.  Oh well.  Put it in perspective.

Friday was a bad day at work.  First off, the software we use was down for about an hour.  Then I found out my direct deposit paycheck was delayed (until Monday) due to either an error or a glitch.  It was the last day of the week, the month, the quarter, and our fiscal year, so it was a bad day for that to happen from an accounting point of view.  Then one of our cashiers (also a good friend) who is undergoing chemo for lymphoma was trying to get through the day so she didn't have to take more sick leave.  She felt weak and dizzy and I had her lay down in a corner behind my desk, but she didn't feel any better so she had to go home.  It made her feel bad to give up but she was clearly not going to be able to do it.

Our remote check scanner broke which meant I had to run a tape and total a big stack of checks.  It couldn't be fixed so the bank took it back.  They don't have a spare.  The software went down again in the afternoon, and the IT department felt it was pretty unstable.  They asked us to close out which left us with a situation in running the end of day (week, month, and fiscal year) processes.  I ended up going in today after the IT department got things running late last night and ran the processes so things wrapped up and recorded before the end of the fiscal year.

To top it off, we're in a heat wave.  Poor R has been struggling because his shop is so hot the past week or two.  I told him (half joking) that he couldn't complain until it got to a hundred degrees inside.  It happened on Thursday, so he came home and said that now he could legitimately complain.  And he was only half serious.  Friday it was 99 in there -- no complaints.

All in all though, with everything that went wrong yesterday, the one thing I was really worried about was the friend who was struggling through her chemo side effects.  Everything else was just something to deal with.  So when I wake up with stiff feet or find a new ache of the day, I will try hard to put it in perspective.  We have our struggles, but we can deal with them because mostly they just take time and effort. Or as I like to tell R:  "D - B - A - B - B" or "Don't Be A Big Baby".

Word.




No comments: