We've been working on repairing and painting our basement walls which means we have to move shelves to get to them. While we're at it, I've been going through those shelves and thinning out the jetsam that collected over the years. Unfinished basements allow people to store and forget and we are as guilty of that as anyone.
Looking at the basement has also led me to look at the kitchen and notice there is just too much stuff in there too. So yesterday I went through the shelves with the glass doors and thinned out the Fiesta Ware dishes that we have been accumulating since the kids were little. Probably over 25 years ago I found I could buy a single place setting at a reasonable price which basically allowed me to purchase a set of dishes on the installment plan. I would buy one or two settings a month, depending on available cash and colors, and I can remember it being a great day when we had enough place settings to serve our family of five.
After we had enough dishes for setting a table, I discovered I could purchase Fiesta Ware from the Betty Crocker Catalog with discounts for Betty Crocker points cut from boxes. The cool thing was the catalog carried more pieces and colors and I had little trouble accumulating the points needed to get the discounts. Over time, I purchased serving pieces, salt and pepper shakers, creamer, sugar, etc., and the occasional place setting until I had a pretty complete set and could serve a dozen or fifteen people easily. We used the heck out of our dishes because I don't like to use disposable dinnerware if I can help it, and I don't have a second set of "good" china or stoneware. Curiously, we rarely broke a dish and I don't have any that are chipped. I have no idea why, because we're not especially careful people.
Because we've been on the installment plan for 25 years, we have amassed quite a set of Fiesta Ware. I still love the dishes and use them every day. I still get excited about new colors or pieces and will pick up the occasional piece for fun. I just purchased a "flamingo" java mug to use when I drink my morning tea, but I also know I don't need more than a few pieces in this color. I love the way the colors mix and clash more than I like having several of each one.
But now that I've thinned out the shelves and winnowed down the excess, I had to find a place for the dishes that were removed. Thank goodness I had some clear shelf space in the basement because I stored them down there to have available when we have a large crowd (likely) or pieces get broken (unlikely). I will also be able to pull together a reasonable set for any of the kids who need it, most likely my middle son when he gets a place of his own. The kitchen shelves look better and less overdone and the basement shelves are coming along.
Just in time for the new season of Hoarders. Whew.
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Fiesta Ware
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment