Sunday, October 20, 2013

Purge

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but yesterday I finally took some time to go through my closet(s) and get rid of clothes that were:

1. outdated
2. ugly
3. worn
4. ill-fitting

I may have hit the 30 percent purge mark, possibly 35. Seriously.

I have two closets in my bedroom, one with my current season clothes and the other with off-season and suits. Then I use one of the two guest room closets for off-season and off-sized clothes. Yesterday I pulled everything out of all of those closets and only put back what I intended to keep. It was a huge undertaking and took me all morning but I am so glad I did it. I have a couple of things I need to hem or alter but I'll tackle those soon.

I saved very few suits from back when I worked at the law firm. I don't wear a lot of suits in my current position, and the ones I work at the law firm are very business-ey. They are also two sizes larger than my current size and I really don't want to give myself that kind of leeway (she types after finishing her M&M's for the evening).

I had to convince myself that I probably wouldn't wear those suits again, and even if I did want to they wouldn't fit and even if they did fit they were out of style. That's too many degrees of separation.

Now if my life returns to normal (and it is possible that it will happen in a few months), I may actually try to paint and organize my bedroom closets. It took me a year to paint the guest room closets, but my plan is to accomplish this project in just a couple of weekends. In fact, maybe I could take a day of vacay to get it done in a long weekend. It's ridiculous, but I'm getting excited at the prospect.

I'm a little worried I've been excited about this before. Just so you know, the clock doesn't start running until I open the can of paint.

No comments: