I have not had it happen in the six years I've been at the University, but this month I crossed into "use it or lose it" mode with my accumulated vacation days. I scrambled to find a good day to take off before the end of the month where holidays, important meetings, and other people's vacations shrunk the possibilities to just three days.
What this means is I'm going to have to force-feed myself some vacation days each month for a while. Such a burden! When I take a day I use 8 hours but I accrue another 12 hours each month so you can see how easy it is to build up a surplus.
Normally I like to take off the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, but a few higher ups decided directors need to work those days so classified staff can be off. They also decided I am a director (I'm not) for this purpose anyway. Oh well, I've always felt staff should have the ability to take off on those days. It just turned out that my staff chose to work so I was the one who took off.
But now I have a day off and I need to figure out what to do with it. It's bitter cold here so R went to the store last night and got a few things so I can bake. I also have a book on my kindle and I can light a fire and read for a while. R works a few hours this morning and then will do some more cleaning out at the shop in the afternoon. He's winding it up to lock it up and walk entirely away. That will feel so good to both of us.
I may check my stash of fleece fabric and if needed go get something to make a quick baby blanket. A neice is due towards the end of this month and it would be nice if I had a gift. Nothing like waiting until the last minute....
I also have a grandparents lunch at my grandson's elementary school which will be fun. His other grandparents will be there too but the walk to the school from their home will be chilly! Guess I'd better get moving so I can get a shower and dry my hair before I have to head outside. I could sit curled up in this chair all day but I'd like a bit more productivity to show for my forced day off. Three cheers for institutional policies and procedures!
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Forced vacation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment