Wednesday, February 25, 2026

Revisiting

 I’ve been re-reading old posts and am struck by how incredibly young and naive I was at 50.  Come on!  Why didn’t I realize how young I was then? Probably because it was the oldest I had ever been and it felt old-ish.

I’m 68 now and feeling every bit of it to be honest.  I don’t run any longer (and haven’t for a long time) but I still walk a couple of miles every day.  I just dropped some bucks on my first pair of Hokas.  Judging by the clientele in the specialty shoe store, I’d say I found a secret meeting place for the 65+ crowd.  R just got a pair and he couldn’t stop talking about them so I took the plunge.  

Still have a laptop but like to use my iPad for noodling around.  Or my phone but who has time for the tiny print?  My eyes are worse so bigger is really better and I do 99% of my pleasure reading on my Kindle.  For comfortable typing, however, the laptop is best.

I volunteer at the public library one morning a week, shelving books held for the “Booktique” or the annual book sale.  It’s a perfect job for me with quiet surroundings, a clear definitions of progress made, and very, very flexible. I have no idea why but I love shelving books.  Must hark back to my organizational skills.  

My mostly retired week allows me to spend time in the garden and yard, tidying up and planting.  Pulling weeds.  The mosquitoes love (hate?) me so I must spray down each morning before I begin and then shower after I wrap up in a couple of hours.  I don’t love the chemicals but I hate the bites even more.  Because working outside is seasonal, the winters get long and tiresome.  I try to come up with little projects — indoor stuff — so I don’t go batty.  I take extra solo walks when I can and have an exercise bike when I can’t.  We bought one that fits my short legs and arms, and I keep it in the TV room so I’ll use it.  Going to the basement to use our old one was too depressing.  The less easily depressed R uses that one.

I’ve been trying to think about what to write but am also revisiting old posts to see what was up way back when.  Pretty interesting stuff!  Nah, just kidding.  But I’ll jump back in for a while and see how it goes, at least until the weather improves and I can get back to the garden.  For now, have a good one!

No comments: