Friday, July 17, 2026

Settling in

We are settling into our new routine as caregivers to our son who is recovering from a severely broken leg. I hesitated to use the word caregiver because honestly he takes care of 95% of his own needs.  I do his laundry (in the basement) and fix his meals (kitchen is galley and not easy to manage in a wheelchair). I frequently offer to retrieve or put away things for him but he wants to do it himself. 

Today he had three occasions to leave the house so R set up the portable wheelchair ramp early this morning. They met our youngest son and his boys for breakfast as is their Friday morning tradition. They went to the grocery store and dollar store so he could get out a bit. Finally he had a followup appointment with his new primary care physician to take a look at his blood work once again. He is able to maneuver himself down the ramp without assistance but I must help him going up. There is a weight limit to the ramp that we don’t want to approach so my weight plus his is safer than R’s weight plus his. The first time I helped it took everything I had to assist him as he wheeled himself up. The pitch is within limits of a home ramp but is still kind of steep and it takes some work for him to roll himself up it. I help by pushing and keeping him from rolling backwards. 

To be honest, the process has worried me enough to keep me up at night. I would be devastated if he fell because of me. Today, after three more trips up the ramp, I felt a lot more confident in both of our abilities.  

Sunday his siblings and some of the nieces and nephews are coming over for a barbecue meal and game night.  He bought prizes today from the dollar store and even created a trophy! He is doing a remarkable job finding ways to occupy himself from his wheelchair. I’m seriously proud of how hard he is working to recover from his accident. It will be another month or so before he can put weight on the leg but he will be as ready as he could possibly be. 

So proud!

No comments: