Monday, May 19, 2008

Sweet rose

I have an old red silk rose that was one of many passed out to guests at a wedding several years ago. I don't know why I saved it because I don't like silk flowers but it was stuck in our guest room and I didn't see it much so it didn't bother me much. I think it was laying on a lower shelf of a little wicker night stand. A couple of months ago I switched out the night stand for a different stand and I didn't know what to do with the rose so I pitched it.

R was gathering up the trash and saw the rose in it. He can't bear to throw away something pretty (?) that is in perfectly good shape, so he found a new spot for it. He put it where I would find it, in my office upstairs, only it took me a while to find it because I had so much junk on my desk. But when I found it, I realized what he did and how he put it there to place something pretty for me to stumble upon. So I enjoyed it a while and later I found a place for him to find it in his bathroom, on the shelf behind the toilet.

Since then, the rose made its way around the house in turns, and it would stay in one place for a while until the recipient found a new place for it and became the giver. Each time it would move it would take a while for the recipient to find it which made it more special because we would stumble upon it at an odd time in an odd place and it would be a surprise. A mental hug.

After we built the fence, the rose appeared on the little wreath I made for our new gate. The little wreath has some springtime silk flowers on it in subtle colors. The red rose really stuck out on the wreath, but I left it there for a few days. Then I moved it for R to find and put it between slats on the new fence. Not a great spot, but at least it was off of my pretty little wreath. R saw it there and left it for a while. Before he had a chance to take his turn, I had a brainstorm and broke with protocol by moving it again. This time, I tied it to the one remaining rose bush we have in the yard. It looked like it belonged there because the bush had leafed out but was not blooming, and he didn't notice it for a long time. I finally had to point him to it and told him he needed to go and smell the first blooming rose on our bush. He saw as he walked toward it that it was the red silk rose, without even remembering that our rose bush actually has coral colored flowers.

This weekend, he moved the rose to what we decided is its final resting place. We have a wooden pink flamingo by our shed that was made by my good friend's father, now deceased. It's kitchy and silly and I really like it. It stands on one aluminum rod leg in a clump of hostas next to the shed. R tied the red silk rose to the beak of the flamingo so it looks like it's clutching the rose stem in its beak.

It's a pink flamingo dancer. What could be better.

No comments: