Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bidding our time

We met with the realtor last night and bid on the house. We gave a low-ball bid but also found out the house had been on the market for 12 weeks. Plus it needs enough work to make our bid reasonable.

I feel sorry for the seller though. I've had descriptions of her from a couple of sources, and by all accounts she is quite obese. Perhaps the steps, though few, have become too much for her. Also, she has just gone through a divorce, and is depressed as well. She probably needs to sell the house but apparently is not motivated at all. All I can think of is that line from the commercial "Depression hurts...." and I think she must be hurting. It's hard to take action when you're depressed, and it would explain the neglect the house is showing right now.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into what I've heard. But I'd really be surprised if she took our bid or even gave a reasonable counter offer because I don't think she's mentally ready to part with the house right now. That's okay, I've still got my house and my mom has hers and we're not in any hurry.

I learned a sort of lesson today at the new job. I don't know if that means I sort of learned it or if I learned a lesson of sorts. I'm taking over another task from my boss and he was telling me that we usually have to wait on receipts from one of the departments. I asked him why and he said that he wasn't sure what their problem is, but they are typically slow. I asked him what would happen if I walked over to their department every day and picked up their receipts and documentation and he said he didn't think we should make ourselves into enablers for them. It made perfect sense, and I will say that I have a habit of taking on tasks for myself that others could or should be doing, just because it's easier not to depend on them. This really became evident when I left the old job and tried to make lists of everything I did. It was ridiculously long and truthfully, even I didn't have any idea how much I took on.

My eyes really burned tonight but I think I rubbed them with salty fingers (from eating popcorn). I actually had to get up off the couch and rinse them out. I've had a computer screen in my face all day so that may be part of it.

Okay, I'm bored with myself.

No comments: