Saturday, March 28, 2009

Free day

My scheduled facial with friends got canceled today because of the weather so I had a kind of free day. I actually had other stuff to do, but couldn't manage to get off the couch and do it. I believe I had an hour and a half nap today. Plus another half hour of rest while trying to decide what to do. Then we watched a two-hour movie tonight so more couch sitting. I may have bed sores.

I will reveal that I dragged out the vacuum and cleaned off the top of the entertainment center. The dust was measurably thick. I also cleaned the speakers atop the cabinet along with the assorted baskets I keep up there to hide the speakers. The speakers went from looking a deep gray/brown color to the black color they actually are. It just dawned on me I should also do the top of the corner cabinet in the same room as it stands to reason the dust on it would be just as thick.

We went to Sam's Club today (one of our semi-annual visits) and stocked up on some shop stuff for R among other things. I saw two former co-workers working there. They both hold full-time jobs and I believe both are now single. I can't imagine working a second job but I guess I kind of do with R's work and my contract work. Anyway, I was able to catch up with both of them a bit which was good.

We got photos of the place we're going to in Florida. We decided on Labor Day weekend and will take five days (Friday through Tuesday). We will fly (GAAAHHH!) so we don't spend the whole time driving. I believe valium will be involved. The place is awesome and so is the view. It's a condo so we can cook or not, and it has everything we need to laze around on the beach which is the whole plan. I can't remember the last time R and I took more than a night away together where we weren't also visiting relatives or traveling with relatives or doing something with other people. In fact this may be the first time. Is that weird? No wait. We went on our honeymoon alone together. I guess that makes this the first time in 31 years.

We have free use of the condo, so that is pretty great. A friend / fellow mechanic of R's is loaning it to us. We'll have to pay for airline tickets (GAAAHHH!) and car rental and eating out so it shouldn't be too bad. I hope R's work picks up and I don't end up having to take a pay cut (or lose my job) and we can afford it without going broke.

Did I mention we hate to fly? We don't just hate it, we HATE it. I'm sure it's just because we've traveled so little in our lives that we are uncomfortable with it, but my claustrophobia and multitude of other fears doesn't help. R is not the chicken I am, except about flying. We'll be fearful together which does help. It's hard to overcome fears that have been around so long though.

I need to figure out something good to make when I host bunco in April. I found a cool recipe for "bucket punch" which is a fruity spiked punch that is served in a galvanized bucket. I think that sounds fun. I would have made my awesome lasagne with homemade pasta but that's what was served at bunco this week. Not my awesome version, but whatever. I'll keep you posted.

Bed sores are getting to me. Gotta go.

1 comment:

josie said...

I'm glad you've committed to this trip. The flying will totally be worth it. In fact, I predict that the two of you will end up retiring to Florida because of this trip. Beach lounging is one of the best things in the world.