I worked late tonight (again) and walked out of the office when I finished up. No biggie. But as I'm leaving, a fancy lady in the fancy conference room asked me if the usual monthly meeting held in that room was still on. I told her I didn't know, but asked her to shut off the lights and lock the room if no one else showed and she had to leave. We chatted a bit, and then as I turned to go I noticed the university president leaving his office which was next door. I followed him down the stairs (neither of us take the elevator -- bonus!) and he must have heard me clomping in my kick-ass boots. They are seriously cute. He got to the bottom of the stairs and turned around to look at me. I said "Hi!" like I knew him. Of course I don't. I know who he is, like everyone in the city does, but I'm not on a first name or a casual "Hi!" basis with him.
He said hello back. Thinking quickly, as I was hoping to engage him in a little conversation, I offered him a brownie. I was carrying the leftovers from the pan I brought into the office today, a peace offering for being crabby the other day. He smiled. He said something else. Maybe expressing surprise that it was sprinkling as we were walking out the front doors. I said something like "Huh." Clever me. I offered him a brownie one last time and he declined. Said he didn't eat chocolate.
Internal response: "WTF!" External response: *dumb look*
Then we walked to our cars. His parking spot was MUCH closer than mine. I was being sprinkled on.
Now here is how it SHOULD have gone......
Me: "Hello, Dr. F. I'm Mary and I work in the Business Office. I don't believe we've been introduced."
Dr. F: "Hello, Mary. My goodness you're getting out of here a bit late, aren't you?"
Me: "Yes, but I run the process each evening that feeds the data into the accounting system, so I'm usually here late."
Dr. F: "So you're the one who does that. I'm glad to know you. What do you have in the pan there?"
Me: "I brought brownies to work today for the rest of the office. I have a few left; would you care for any?"
Dr. F: "No, but they certainly look delicious. It's a wonder you find the time to bake when you work late each night!"
Me: "Ha ha!" *humble look* "Well, you have a good evening now!"
Dr. F: "I sure will, you do the same. And put your feet up tonight!"
Why am I always a better person and conversationalist after the fact, and in my imagination? This is why I am where I am. And will probably remain there. Sigh.....
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Why I'll never move up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment