I was super annoyed at my boss (I know, old news) the other day because he ran out of the office at 5:00 and left me to work another hour by myself (for the umpteenth time). I was in a really cranky mood, possibly due to:
1. PMS (that one's up for grabs)
2. Menopause (slightly more possible)
3. Exhaustion from being seriously over worked
I felt like I'd been cranky all day, even at students at times which is not like me. Honest. I finally caught up with the boss and told him I needed help because I've been putting in so many extra hours and am still unable to keep up. He offered to run the processes at night but I know it is something he is just bad at and I didn't want his lack of attention to mess up the students' accounts. I'd be the one who had to fix them later. So I suggested he prepare the morning deposits. He agreed. Then he told me he had been just waiting for me to say something, as a way of explaining why he hadn't been helping all this time.
That REALLY pissed me off. I'm sure it was a PMS-menopause-exhaustion-enhanced kind of anger, but he managed to make the fact that he wasn't helping me sound like my fault. I ranted to a couple of people, my husband, and repeatedly in my head, and then decided I'd better get over it and get busy.
By the next day, I'd cooled off considerably. I had a good night's sleep, was over my screaming headache, and bordered on being reasonable. He was at my desk and I told him it would help a lot if he would prepare deposits for the rest of the month so I can get caught up. He said sure, and then he said he probably should have asked me sooner about whether or not I was overwhelmed.
That went a LONG way towards making me feel better and making him less of an a-hole. I told him that I am not a complainer (blog posts excluded--honest!) and it takes a lot for me to ask for help. I said I realized he was waiting for me to ask and I understood that, but perhaps he needed to be a little more aware. He agreed. The air cleared for both of us.
My boss is really quite a nice guy but he is patently oblivious. He doesn't handle stress well, so I think he doesn't pay attention so he doesn't have to know too much which would add to his stress load. I shouldn't fault him for his coping mechanisms, but occasionally it's tough when I'm the one doing all the work. But at least I was able to talk about my concerns like an adult which is especially important right now since evaluations are coming up. No ulterior motive there!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Acting like an adult
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment