Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Done

We wrapped up our Christmas yesterday, enjoying the kids and grandkids until we were all as spent as a quarter in a casino.  R and I nodded off through whatever was on TV last night, dragged ourselves up to bed, and dragged ourselves out of bed today so R could go to work and I could start my day and tackle my list for my week off.

We walked this morning and then I took down the tree.  I know it's kind of fast since we only had our Christmas yesterday, but I have my quirks and one of them is getting things that bug me out of the way so I can do other things.  I have no idea how I managed it, but I undecorated it and then was able to disassemble the tree and haul it downstairs.  That thing is heavy!  I was just more determined than it was.

I also cleaned and swept since we had all of the traffic and an extra animal and there was lots of fur, dirt, and artificial tree crumbs.  Now my house is clean, my furniture is back in place, the decorations are boxed and returned to their shelves, and that, my friend, is relaxing to me.

I made a list of things to get done this week and crossed off maybe four of them today.  I still need to clean my office upstairs but I caught up R's books and got some legal work done.  I got a package boxed and mailed with the help of a friend who was sending something to the same friend, and I washed the guest room sheets.  We found R a desk calendar for 2011. I found a b-day gift for another friend, we returned a DVD that we received three of (don't ask -- the story behind it highlights the colossal amount of stupidity in our house), and we picked up another file box for my mom's papers that she'll keep at her new place.  Tomorrow my sister and I will meet at mom's to do some more sorting.  I'm keeping Thursday to clean my office and maybe take myself out for lunch.  Friday is open.  Saturday we're staying at a hotel and just chilling.  And then, my vacation will be done.

And by that time, I'll be ready for it to be over.  I'm pretty sure what keeps me motivated is the time frame in which I am working.  If I was on a permanent vacation, I would have no incentive to make a list and cross off completed items.  I work better with a deadline (and no Christmas decorations cluttering up my house).

Could I be more compulsive?  Probably, but this is enough for now.

No comments: