Thursday, December 23, 2010

Should be

I'm sitting around goofing off a bit, but still feel like I've got enough time to catch up later.  I'm off tomorrow, and will remain off until January 3.  That is an incredible stretch of time for me to have off with nothing to do but Christmas.  Hence the goofing off.

I should be catching up R's books, wrapping, or something productive, but I'm tired and my eyes burn and my glasses need a good wiping.  I made a loaf of cranberry bread and I'm sure it's fine even though the bottom of it stuck inexplicably to the pan.  I sprayed it with no-stick spray, so I don't know what happened.  I'll just cover the bottom of the pieces when I slice it.  R just got back from the grocery store and said it was MAYHEM.  I should get down on my knees and be thankful I didn't have to go.  I hope we didn't forget anything because I'm not going out there.

I made a list of the things I need to make, fix or bake.  It's not too bad, but there are other events interspersed.  I just didn't want to forget something (hence the list...).

I had a lady in another department thank me for some work I did on a project for online deposits.  I was included in the project as an afterthought but it turned out I was the only person on the project who actually understood the accounting and function behind the deposits in our accounting software.  And my boss was included in it.  In fact, he screwed up some of the detail codes (that I discovered and had him fix) and then didn't complete all of the information in the production database (that I discovered and had him complete).  I swear he would have given the entire project a green light while blindly throwing off accounts right and left.  I honestly am not sure how he can call himself an accountant (a badge he wears with unfortunate pride) and be so unclear on how the university's system works.  And then he goes on his merry way, telling people he solved the online deposit issues, and in his heart of hearts he believes it to be true.

I do believe his two greatest assets are his stupidity and his unwavering belief that he is brilliant.

Wow.  That's got to be the greatest freaking observation I've ever made.  I'm going to quit now while I'm ahead, but if you discover that I've simply paraphrased someone else's quote, don't tell me.  I would also like to have (at least for a little while) the unwavering belief that I am brilliant.

No comments: