Although the weather forecasts were dire, we escaped any real threatening weather in our neck of the woods over the past weekend. I didn't really mind the advance warnings, but I hope the NWS doesn't use them for every little whipstitch. Warnings like those should be infrequent and unusual. Not even annual.
We worked outside yesterday in spite of the wind. We had three days (at least) of wind that was getting annoying because I'm not a wind lover by any stretch. I got the geraniums potted though and really things look pretty good. I also patched some bare spots in the back yard with some super duper seed/fertilizer combo so cross your fingers on that. I found more than one bare spot with rabbit pellets, so I think the little stinker(s) is eating my baby grass. Not cute.
We went to an antique mall yesterday and ran into my little sister and her husband. They were pondering a purchase of two end tables and a coffee table with a granite (or maybe marble) top and I believe our enthusiasm for the pieces put them over. They bought them, and we hauled the coffee table to their house later in the evening because we had our van. Then we helped them rearrange and place the furniture. I'm good at that (I tell myself). It looked nice when we were all done and they were tickled.
At the antique mall I bought a Krispy Kan similar to the one my family had when I was growing up. I already have a yellow one (identical to the old one) but I found a green one and just loved the color, kind of a leaf green. It doesn't appear to be old, but it looks the same. I washed it up and filled it with pretzels. They are a better snack for me than potato chips, and I need to get back in shape because we're taking a little vacation in a month. I need to get my capri pants legs back! That's how I justified the $7.50 I spent on the Krispy Kan. Cheaper than going to the gym....
I'm getting my life back and putting the past few months into perspective. Work is returning (mostly) to normal so the work stress is greatly reduced. Hot flashes, which were crazy for a while are fairly infrequent but I know they can come and go and return with a vengeance. In fact, they do feel kind of vengeful, especially when inflicted on the 50% of the population who do all of the work involved with reproduction. Kind of like beating up a janitor for cleaning the bathroom. Take that you helpful person just doing your job!
I worked in my office tonight to finish up a contract job. This particular one is going away at the end of this month and I'm not too sad about it. It was actually pretty easy but it gets harder and harder to make time for everything. Another job I turned back to the owner last week because I never wanted to do it anyway.....he just brought it to me and I was really uncomfortable with the work and the information I received. I did it three months beyond when I told him I wanted to quit because he kept bringing it to me asking for one more month. I told him this last time I was cutting him loose and he seemed to understand. I still do work for another company of his and that one I'll keep unless he finds someone else he wants to do it. I wouldn't be too sad about that either. I'm either lazy or burned out. Probably lazy.
We got our new painting (it's actually an aquatint engraving) and our friend the gallery owner included one of his paintings in the deal. We're tickled with both of them and spent an afternoon rearranging our art to make room. I haven't figured out if we're eclectic (which sounds cool) or haphazard (which may be more accurate) collectors. We have quite the range of things here, but after I got to looking around I found a fair amount of original art in our house. I also have some Van Gogh reproductions, Mary Cassatt reproductions, and even the occasional mass-produced art for home store reproductions. I'm not an original art snob; as long as I like the subject or technique or something about it, I'm willing to hang it.
Guess that's it. I'm getting close to bedtime and we have a trip after work tomorrow to watch our oldest grandson in a play. How fun.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Bullet dodged
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment