Sunday, April 22, 2012

Parenting once removed

I know we couldn't be grandparents without being parents first, but sometimes it seems like it would be easier to cut out the parenting part and just get to the good stuff.  We have had lots of grandkid time and events over the past few weeks, and it was just so fun.  In fact, it's way more fun than when we were doing the same thing as parents, because it was without the added responsibility that comes with that particular task.

We watched our granddaughter ride her bike after teaching herself how to do it.  I used to stress out when the kids were learning to ride bikes because concrete is hard, streets are not safe, stopping can be difficult, animals or small children can run out in front at the last minute.....you name it I worried about it.  As grandparents, we have total faith in our children's ability to take over the worry role and we just enjoy the show.  A baby is slow to roll over or sit up or crawl or walk?  I'm not worried now because kids develop at their own pace.  I worried then because I wondered if my child was developmentally disabled.  See?  It's easier now.

I wouldn't be as comfortable with my knowledge now if I hadn't been uncomfortable before and then got past it, and I appreciate that.  I'm just glad we got past the hard part and are enjoying dessert.  Heck, we're enjoying a veritable dessert smorgasbord, and I've got plenty of appetite to go around.

1 comment:

Josie said...

I don't really worry about Macy falling off her bike, either. She's more confident on that thing than I am on my bike now! Now kindergarten coming up, I am totally stressing about that.