Today we need to finish repairing our doorbell (we don't know how long it hasn't been working), and we still have a leaky faucet (waiting on parts to ship) and a dryer belt (waiting to be installed but the old one still works). I would like to have a live-in handyperson who could tackle our projects in a timely and correct manner. I would feed him or her and do all of their laundry if only they would take care of the problems that seem to crop up in this house on a daily basis. I'm so tired of coming home repairs that need to be done and repairs that have been back-burnered for far too long. I would just like to come home and not feel that I should be doing something constructive or reparative.
There was a time when we really enjoyed the job of repairing and updating our home. Whether due to our age, busy lives, or burnout, that time has passed. I really think it's because we are at the point that much of our work has aged out and is needing to be done again. I guess I figured when we did the work the first time it would be for keeps. Houses (and lives) don't work like that. Dang.
Wouldn't that be great though? If it were true, I wouldn't have to lose those same five pounds over and over. If I was so inclined I could dye my hair -- once. Self tanner would be a single application that would last me all summer. The paint on our house would never flake, my gardens would always return weed-free each Spring, and my kitchen floor would sparkle like the day it was installed. Good lord, I spend a lot of time doing the same things over and over don't I?
I couldn't do it without R's help and truth is I wouldn't even try. He does do a good job and he tries hard but his time (and money) is as limited as mine. I have always said if he dies first I would put this house on the market the day after his funeral and move to a maintenance-free place. Of course, it goes without saying the housing market the day after his funeral will be at an all-time low and I'll end up having to bring big bucks to the table to unload it but that's how we roll here.
Oh well. We wanted charm so we bought potential charm and eventually we revealed charm in our remodeling and uncovering of the real house beneath the tacky 1970's updates. I'm just tired today and tired of things being broken. He's working on the stupid doorbell right now and maybe when it starts chiming again that will help my attitude. Maybe what I really need to do is go take a shower and do some laundry and quit whining. Hmmm. That could do it!
Sunday, June 3, 2012
Lost charm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment