Sunday, March 22, 2026

Another Spring

 We’re into another Spring season but the weather is acting bipolar.  Last week we started the week with a low of 12 and ended with a high of 97 degrees.  WTAF!  Because we had experienced some warm days before the hard freeze, the Spring flowers had their foot on the accelerator only to crash out for the season.  Daffodils, having just begun blooming, liquified. Forsythia, usually our area’s earliest bloomer, were finished just as their yellow flowers began to appear. Fresh iris leaves melted. Sedums look scorched. Our lilacs, long my favorite Spring bloom, had buds that were still pretty tight so it remains to be seen whether they will perform. 

Oh well. We did manage to cover some of the hostas and peonies since their performance (leaf-wise) lasts until Fall.  They look okay if not a bit rough on the tips.  

And then…we found out that our power line needs to be relocated where it hooks up to the back of our house.  We are currently massively out of compliance because building and electricity codes have changed over 90 years.  And when our 90-year old house was built, windows were abundant in order to provide cross-ventilation throughout. Twenty-seven windows to be precise.  There are very few places with at least three feet of clearance from any window, and in fact there is only one spot on the back of our house.  It happens to be directly in line with our large red “Autumn Blaze” maple which means our back yard’s shade tree has to come out.  We planted it after my dad died and we call it Larry.  It’s between 35 and 40-feet tall but as maples go it is approaching the end of its life.  They grow fast and die young.

We had an arborist out to give us a bid and the electrician will be sending one too.  Thank heavens for savings but after replacing a sewer line and our air conditioning over the past couple of years, writing big checks is getting a little old.

But here is the worst part (for me).  I can live with losing a sentimental tree but my gardens lean heavily to shade plants that will not be pleased when the tree is removed.  I need to figure out what to do with my hosta collection and figure out what to replace them with.  I do have some shady spots where I can move some of the hostas but I’m guessing some will have to be given away.  

I really need to stop thinking that I need a project.  They always find me when I’m not looking!

No comments: