I’m kind of exhausted from this week, although there was a lot to be happy about. We got the estimate for the electrical work that puts the total job over $10K when the tree is removed. I kind of stressed out about it because I was worried R would flip and want me to get more estimates, etc. Turns out he was fine (well, as fine as is possible when a big bill punches you in the gut) and that gave me such relief. When he was drinking, things could set him off which isn’t his nature but in sobriety he usually remains calm. Old man things set him off: neighbors not removing their trash cans from the curb, dandelions, bad drivers, but bigger things don’t get him riled. Happiness there.
Work was okay and minute progress was made on the stupidly complex task of Perkins liquidation. Actually on Phase 4 now which should be it once I figure out how the hell to do it. Still. When Perkins is off the table, I’ll transition to a half day a week. Happiness there too.
Then my oldest living (widower) brother, 78, had a stroke after a stent was placed in an artery with over 90% blockage. The whole thing is complicated by his lack of resources, his kids’ and grandkid’s lack of resources and/or availability, his failure to maintain his old farm house that is literally falling apart and very likely hoarded, and his current occupancy in a former girlfriend’s camper. The problem with large families is it is unlikely every sibling handles life in the same way or even in a good way, but the benefit of a large family is it is likely there are many hands to help out when needed. The troops have rallied and a plan is in place for housing him while he recovers. Happiness for sure. Except for the deluge of group texts and emails and occasional snideness from a typically snidey brother. Sniding my way. R tells me to let it go and I will because who the heck needs that…but still. Really?
Saw a grandson perform in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” which was wonderful. Daughter and her daughters drove in, so all of my kids attended and many of the grandkids. Happy, happy, happy!
We are planning R’s post-retirement trip for the end of August and he is super pumped about it. Driving through Oklahoma and Texas and seeing sights and places we’ve not been. Taking time we’ve not had before. Keeping car time to less than 6 hours per day so we don’t get overly tired or cranky with one another. I figure we’ll learn a lot about how we travel together after this trip so future trips can be planned accordingly. Happiness on the horizon.
And now it’s Sunday and I’m puttering and hope to work outside this afternoon. Even though Kris Kristopherson’s song about Sunday morning is not necessarily about happiness, it’s an amazing song that makes a good title to this post.
And now to get my gardening gloves on and get busy. Happiness!
No comments:
Post a Comment