Friday, October 26, 2007

Dream record

I've had some crazy dreams in my 50 years. In one of the oldest ones I can remember I was in a grassy field with a brick chimney coming right up out of the grass. As I was looking at the chimney, a big gorilla climbed out of it. I was scared spitless. I woke up and was frozen with fear for the longest time. I don't remember how old I was when I had that dream, but I can still remember it because it scared me so much.

A couple of years ago, I had a dream that R and I were walking along a river walk somewhere. It was a lovely walk, the weather was nice, and we were having a nice conversation. We rounded a curve and were confronted by a group of terrorists. I could tell they were terrorists because they were dressed all in black and had black ski masks on and were carrying machine guns (it made sense in my dream anyway). They told us and a couple of other people in the vicinity to get down on the ground and shut up. We got down on the ground, but R would just not shut up. He kept muttering under his breath, "I'm not going to shut up...terrorists can't tell me to shut up...stupid terrorists don't know anything," and on like that. I whispered to him to be quiet but he just wouldn't. "I'm not going to listen to terrorists...terrorists can't tell me what to do..." and one of the terrorists told him again to be quiet. I looked at him with my most severe look with my eyes pleading for him to shut up and shut up now. He continued to mutter in a tone that was well above a whisper, "Nobody can tell me to shut up.....stupid terrorists don't know anything," and then one pointed the gun directly at him.

I woke up, absolutely the most terrified I'd ever been after a nightmare, trying to catch my breath. I couldn't move for the longest time I was so frozen with fear. As I lay there, trying to breathe, I heard R snoring. His snoring had the same rhythm and timbre as his muttering in my dream, "schnoooooccckkkkrrrrrrr.....schnoooooocccckkkkkrrrr.....schnoooooccccckkkkkrrrr." I knew then that I had incorporated his snoring into my dream and that was why he wouldn't shut up. But I was so scared and so mad and it was so in the realm of possibility that R would have behaved exactly the same in real life as he did in the dream, that I woke him up. He was sleepy and puzzled and I told him he was snoring and needed to turn over. Then I told him if a terrorist ever pointed a machine gun at him and told him to lay on the ground and shut up he'd damn well better shut up. He promised he would and went back to sleep. I lay there mad as a hornet.

He's way nicer in the middle of the night that I am.

No comments: