Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Busted!

It was a weird day. It's Ash Wednesday so I try to be really selfless and fast (from food) and abstain (from meat). I don't do this often, and I take some sort of guilty pleasure in being able to restrain myself for a day which probably defeats the purpose of fasting and abstaining if I'm getting any pleasure out of it at all.

I didn't eat breakfast (I had hot tea and hot chai tea) which wasn't bad except we didn't get our paper this morning. Well, maybe we did but we couldn't find it beneath the seven inches of stupid snow we got last night. I shoveled a spot for the dogs who hate snow, helped R clear off the driveway, watched him leave and nearly get stuck half a dozen times, and never found the paper.

I didn't eat lunch either unless you count a glass of juice and about five pecans that I cracked. And two Triscuits. And more hot tea. I guess you could count it if you're picky, but I still think I did okay.

So I get home from work and start on the only meal I'll have today, cheese tortellini. I crack a couple of more pecans and then I spot the M&M's (dark) in the candy jar. Hmmm. It's pretty close to supper and I could probably count the M&M's as part of my meal. I'll just have a few. Maybe five.

No sooner do I put one in my mouth than R turns the key in the front door. I stuff the rest of them into my mouth and chew and swallow furiously, which didn't allow me to savor them like I had intended. Probably my penance for cheating. Then I went ahead and told him about them so I could have savored them anyway. I'm a terrible liar and I don't even conceal transgressions well. I positively must confess. Guess that's the Catholicism rearing its ugly head again.

So after I busted myself for eating M&M's, he gave me a paper he picked up on the way home. I'm going to at least savor reading it. He'll go shovel my mother's driveway and I'm going to take a hot bath. And I'm going to hate snow. And digest my cheese tortellini.

Now R has poured me a glass of wine. I asked him if I should drink wine when I'm fasting, and he said, "Absolutely." So there you have it. Our own little version of following the rules. And if he says that I can also eat popcorn later, I'm not going to question it.

No comments: