We're home from a weekend away, at a wedding in Iowa. The weather cooperated, the drive was pleasant, and I'm home to my electric lap blanket and my spot on the couch. We got out and walked before supper tonight and R pushed the pace to a good level. Then I ate a salad for supper tonight. That should make up for a weekend of snacks, fast food, and the huge piece of wedding cake I snarfed, right?
It was warm in the car with the sun on us most of the time. But when the sun went down DANG it was cold up there! Even they said it was cold. It just makes my electric lap blanket feel even more cozy.
We saw lots of R's family and had a nice visit. He was the only brother there, but all four sisters made it. Lots of nieces and nephews. Made me miss my g-kids.
We stayed in a small town that had one of the most beautiful county courthouses I've seen. It was such a presence -- you could see it from blocks away. We drove around it when we got there because we were so charmed. Then we stopped at a small shop in their little downtown that had a liquidation sign out front. Everything was at least 35% off and some was 75% off. We found a beautiful piece of blue slag glass and a really silly ceramic dog that looked a lot like one that I'd made as a kid. It was in the 75% off corner so I bought it.
R visited with the lady as we were checking out, remarking that she was closing her shop. She said that sometimes life takes you directions that you didn't intend to go. I thought that was pretty deep. Then she said that she was closing because she needed to spend the next year driving her deadbeat husband around because he lost his license. Oops! Not deep, just bitter. Probably with good reason though.
On the way home today we stopped at an antique mall and browsed. They weren't giving things away, but it was fun to reconnect with some old items from our childhood. Didn't buy anything there. We also toyed with stopping at a casino but figured we could blow that money somewhere else.
We washed the car when we got into town because the melting snow, salt and sand was spraying the entire trip home. And the slag glass found a place in my garden. And the pugs are sleeping next to me on the sofa. Home sweet sofa.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Home sweet sofa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment